Small Event Horses
- When: Wed 9 August, 19:15 - 20:10
- Where: Ring 2
65. SMALL EVENT HORSE - PHASE A
- When: Thu 10 August, 08:15 - 09:20
- Where: Main Arena
65. SMALL EVENT HORSE - PHASES B & C
To identify high class small horses bred in Ireland with the potential to become top class junior or young rider event horses: to create a medium for breeders and producers to showcase such quality stock: to encourage producers and trainers to present quality small horses that are rideable and competitive for youths coming from ponies or for lightweight adults.
The class will also act as a market focus for high class small event type horses.
This class is restricted to ‘Irish Bred’ horses only. Open to horses aged between 5 and 7 years old.
Horses must be 150cm (14.3hh) but must not exceed 160cm (15.3hh). Exhibits must have a current and valid measurement under the Show Jumping Ireland / Irish Pony Society Measurement Scheme and their passports must be available on arrival for inspection.
To be ridden by riders who have attained their 15th birthday by 1 January 2017.
Riders who have competed in a CIC***, CCI*** or CSI*** competition or higher in the past five years are ineligible to compete in this class.
A change of rider may be permitted under exceptional circumstances and will only be allowed on written request and with the approval from the DHS Show Director. In addition, the substitute rider will be required to be signed off by a Level 2 HSI accreditated coach as capable of competing in the competition.
RDS Members: €230 each entry; Non-Members: €260 each entry.
- Protective headgear conforming to the current recommended kitemark standard - PAS 015, F1163 or Snell and fitted with an adjustable harness is compulsory for all riders. (Please note that (BS) EN 1384 hats will not be permitted unless the hat is dual stamped with another standard such as Snell or PAS 015).
- A body protector must be worn by all riders.
- Riders must dress according to the Dress Code as stipulated during Phase A.
- Eventing colours and attire must be worn during Phase B.
- Only snaffle bridles with any one of the following nosebands: cavesson, drop, flash or grackle are permitted. This applies to all phases of the competition.
- Crank nosebands are not permitted.
- Martingales are not permitted.
- Neckstraps and/or breastplates are permitted.
- Numnahs (if used) must conform neatly with saddle contours. No saddle cloths or visible logos are permitted.
- Hind leg boots or bandages are not allowed in any phase of this competition. Overreach boots are permitted.
- Only blunt metal spurs or ones with rubber rowels, ≤ 2 1/2cms (1"), facing downwards are permitted
- The same tack must be used in each phase. No tack etc. may be worn that conceals the conformation of the horse
- No item of tack excluded from competition is allowed in the practice arena.
If for any reason, a competitor goes through the Start with incorrect tack, the Judge will have no option but to eliminate that competitor.
To qualify, horses should jump a clear round over a 22-fence, 1.10m Young Eventhorse Series (YES!) course @ 375mpm and/or have fewest jumping faults. Where faults are zero (0) or equal after the jumping round, a 'Rhythm and Fluency' mark out of 10 will determine advantage. In the event that the 'Rhythm and Fluency' mark has been awarded and there is still an equality of points, placing will be determined by the mark closest (under) to the optimum time.
This competition at the YES! venues will commence after the Five Year Old Young Event Horse class (approximately mid-afternoon).
The top four horses from each of the four venues will be selected for entry to the DHS Final.
An athlete may qualify a maximum of two horses in the Small Event Horse category.
Qualifier entry forms are available here.
Entries must be returned by email or post by 5pm on the Wednesday before each competition to the designated secretary*. Please note that 5pm is the close of entries and will be strictly adhered to. The qualifier entry fee of €35 must be paid directly to the competition secretary on the day of the qualifier.
*Designated Secretary, for Qualifiers only, is Barbara McGreal, Corbeagh House, Ballinalee, Co. Longford
Tel: 087 2514815
Horses must have competed in a minimum of two Small Event Horse qualifier events before competing at the Dublin Horse Show.
Horses eligible and entered for a Small Event Horse class may not compete in a Young Event Horse qualifier at the same venue i.e. on the same day. They may however enter a Young Event Horse qualifier at a subsequent qualifying event. Horses may only qualify for and compete in one category at the Dublin Horse Show, and once qualified horses must remain in that category for subsequent events.
The Final at the Dublin Horse Show will be judged over three phases as outlined here.
This class will run as per a specific drawn order available from the Equestrian Office.
Phase A - 35%
Phase B - 50%
Phase C - 15%
Total - 100%
Mr Tom Holden
Awards & Prizes
- 1st €1,000
- 2nd €800
- 3rd €600
- 4th €400
- 5th €200
Cups & Trophies
Cup No. 167 – Perpetual Challenge Trophy presented to the winner of the Small Event Horse.
Champion and Reserve Champion are required to participate in the Parade of Champions on Friday 11 August. Further details are available here.
View Qualifier Details