Small Event Horse
- When: Wed 8 August, 19:15 - 20:10
- Where: Ring 2
65. SMALL EVENT HORSE - PHASE A
- When: Thu 9 August, 08:15 - 09:20
- Where: Main Arena
65. SMALL EVENT HORSE - PHASES B & C
To identify high class small horses bred in Ireland with the potential to become top class junior or young rider event horses: to create a medium for breeders and producers to showcase such quality stock: to encourage producers and trainers to present quality small horses that are rideable and competitive for youths coming from ponies or for lightweight adults.
The class will also act as a market focus for high class small event type horses.
This class is restricted to ‘Irish Bred’ horses only. Open to horses aged 5 and 7 years old.
Horses must be 150cm (14.3hh) but must not exceed 160cm (15.3hh). Exhibits must have a current and valid measurement under the Show Jumping Ireland / Irish Pony Society Measurement Scheme and their passports must be available on arrival for inspection.
To be ridden by riders who have attained their 15th birthday by 1 January 2018.
Riders who have competed in a CIC***, CCI*** or CSI*** competition or higher in the past five years are ineligible to compete in this class.
A change of rider will not be permitted under any circumstance. Only the horse / rider combination that qualify will be allowed to compete at the DHS.
RDS Members: €234 each entry; Non-Members: €265 each entry.
- Protective headgear conforming to the recommended Kitemark standard - PAS 015, F1163 or Snell, and fitted with an adjustable harness, is compulsory for all riders. (Please note that (BS) EN1384 hats will not be permitted unless the hat is dual stamped with another standard such as Snell or PAS 015).
- A body protector must be worn by all riders.
- Riders must dress according to the Dress Code as stipulated during Phase A.
- Eventing colours and attire must be worn during Phase B.
- Only snaffle bridles with any one of the following nosebands: cavesson, drop, flash or grackle are permitted. This applies to all phases of the competition.
- Crank nosebands are not permitted.
- Martingales are not permitted.
- Fly veils / ear covers are not permitted.
- Neckstraps and/or breastplates are permitted.
- Numnahs (if used) must conform neatly with saddle contours. Saddle cloths or visible logos are not permitted.
- Hind leg boots or bandages are not allowed in any phase of this competition. Overreach boots are permitted.
- Only blunt metal spurs or ones with rubber rowels ≤ 2 1/2cms (1") facing downwards are permitted.
- The same tack must be used in each phase. No tack etc. may be worn that conceals the conformation of the horse.
- No item of tack excluded from competition is allowed in the practice arena.
If for any reason, a competitor goes through the Start with incorrect tack, the Judge will have no option but to eliminate that competitor.
To qualify, horses should jump a clear round over a 22-fence, 1.10m Young Eventhorse Series (YES!) course @ 375mpm and/or have fewest jumping faults. Where faults are zero (0) or equal after the jumping round, a 'Rhythm and Fluency' mark out of 10 will determine advantage. In the event that the 'Rhythm and Fluency' mark has been awarded and there is still an equality of points, placing will be determined by the horse closest (under) to the optimum time.
A rider may enter a maximum of two horses per Small Event Horse qualifier. A rider may qualify a maximum of two horses for the Small Event Horse class at the DHS.
The top four horses from each of the four qualifiers will be eligible for entry to the DHS.
This competition at the YES! venues will commence after the Five Year Old Young Event Horse class (approximately mid-afternoon).
Online entry is available via the following link; www.itsps.club/yes.
Entries must be submitted before 5pm on the Wednesday before each qualifier. Please note that this deadline will be strictly adhered to. All entries for the qualifiers must be made via the online entry system. Entries will no longer be accepted by email, phone, fax or post.
*Designated Secretary, for Qualifiers only, is Barbara McGreal, Corbeagh House, Ballinalee, Co. Longford
Horse / rider combinations must have competed in a minimum of two Small Event Horse qualifier events before competing at the Dublin Horse Show.
Horses eligible and entered for a Small Event Horse class may not compete in a Young Event Horse qualifier at the same venue, i.e. on the same day. They may however enter a Young Event Horse qualifier at a subsequent qualifying event. Horses may only qualify for and compete in one category at the Dublin Horse Show, and once qualified horses must remain in that category for subsequent events.
The Final at the Dublin Horse Show will be judged over three phases as outlined here.
This class will run as per a specific drawn order available from the Equestrian Office.
Phase A - 35%
Phase B - 50%
Phase C - 15%
Total - 100%
Mr Alan Wade
Awards & Prizes
- 1st €1,000
- 2nd €800
- 3rd €600
- 4th €400
- 5th €200
Cups & Trophies
Cup No. 167 – Perpetual Challenge Trophy presented to the winner of the Small Event Horse.
Champion and Reserve Champion are required to participate in the Parade of Champions on Friday 10 August. Further details are available here.
View Qualifier Details