Young Event Horse
63. FOUR YEAR OLD YOUNG EVENT HORSE - PRESENTATION PHASE
64. FIVE YEAR OLD YOUNG EVENT HORSE - PRESENTATION PHASE
63. FOUR YEAR OLD YOUNG EVENT HORSE - JUMPING PHASE
64. FIVE YEAR OLD YOUNG EVENT HORSE - JUMPING PHASE
To identify high class horses bred in Ireland with the potential to become top class eventers, to create a medium for breeders and producers to display their quality young stock and to encourage breeders and trainers to produce and present the correct type of horse likely to make a top class three day eventer.
The classes also aim to promote and act as a market base for high class young event type horses, to accentuate the significance of the event horse to the Irish sport horse industry and to recognise the value of the Irish thoroughbred blood in the pedigrees of either.
Restricted to ‘Irish Bred’ horses only. Only animals with named passports identifying sire, dam, dam sire, microchip and breeder may compete.
Horses must be 15.0h (153cm) or over.
Five year old mares having carried a foal to parturition as a four year old and providing that the foal was subsequently registered in a studbook will be permitted to compete in the four year old qualifiers. Similarly, six year old mares having carried a foal to parturition as a five year old and providing that the foal was subsequently registered in a studbook will be permitted to compete in the five year old qualifiers.
To be ridden by riders who have attained their 16th birthday by 1 January 2017.
A change of rider may be permitted under exceptional circumstances and will only be allowed on written request and with the approval of the DHS Show Director. In addition, the substitute rider will be required to be signed off by a Level 2 HSI accredited coach as capable of competing in the competition.
RDS Members: €230 each entry; Non-Members: €260 each entry
- Protective headgear conforming to the current recommended kitemark standard - PAS 015, F1163 or Snell and fitted with an adjustable harness is compulsory for all riders. (Please note that (BS) EN 1384 hats will not be permitted unless the hat is dual stamped with another standard such as Snell or PAS 015).
- A body protector must be worn by all riders during Phase D.
- Riders must dress according to the Dress Code as stipulated.
- Eventing colours and attire must be worn during Phase D.
- Only snaffle bridles with any one of the following nosebands: cavesson, drop, flash or grackle are permitted. This applies to all phases of the competition.
- Crank nosebands are not permitted.
- Martingales are not permitted.
- Neckstraps and/or breastplates are permitted.
- Numnahs (if used) must conform neatly with saddle contours. No saddle cloths or visible logos are permitted.
- Hind leg boots or bandages are not allowed in any phase of this competition. Overreach boots are permitted.
- Only blunt metal spurs, or ones with rubber rowels ≤ 2 1/2cms (1") facing downwards are permitted.
- The same tack must be used in each phase. No tack etc. may be worn that conceals the conformation of the horse.
- No item of tack excluded from competition is allowed in the practice arena.
If for any reason, a competitor goes through the Start with incorrect tack, the Judge will have no option but to eliminate that competitor.
The RDS in conjunction with the Young Event-Horse Series (YES!) will identify young Irish horses with the potential to become international three-day event horses and worthy ambassadors of the Irish Sport Horse.
The Young Event-Horse Series events will be used as qualifiers for the Young Event Horse classes at the Dublin Horse Show and five horses from each age group will be invited to enter the DHS from each of the four qualifiers. In the event that the age categories are split into two sections due to high numbers, the two highest placed horses in each section will qualify for the Dublin Horse Show. The fifth or final horse to qualify will come from that section where the next highest placed horse is closest to the category winner - conditional on it achieving the required MAS*.
Horses must have competed in a minimum of two YES! qualifier events before competing at the Dublin Horse Show.
An athlete may qualify a maximum of three horses per Young Event Horse category.
Online entry for the Qualifiers is available on the YES! website.
*To qualify, horses must achieve YES! Minimum Accepted Standard (MAS) in each phase of adjudication regardless of their total score.
Horses eligible and entered for a Young Event Horse class may not compete in a Small Event Horse qualifier at the same venue i.e. on the same day. They may however enter a Small Event Horse qualifier at a subsequent qualifying event. Horses may only qualify for and compete in one category at the Dublin Horse Show, and once qualified horses must remain in that category for subsequent events.
For qualifier results, please see the YES! Facebook page.
The classes will run as per a specific drawn order available from the Equestrian Office.
The classes will run over two days with five Phases. In the event of a tie, the horse closest to the optimum time in Phase D will be determined the winner. If there is still a tie, the marks for conformation and movement (Phase C) will determine the winner.
Details of Phases A to E are available here.
The grand total will be the horse's final score and will determine its final placing.
Phase A - 15 Marks
Phase B - 15 Marks
Phase C - 10 Marks
Phase D - 45 Marks
Phase E - 15 Marks
Total - 100 Marks
Mr Tom Holden
Awards & Prizes
- 1st €2,000
- 2nd €1,500
- 3rd €1,250
- 4th €1,000
- 5th €500
The highest placed mare (placed 5th or above) in both classes will receive an additional €1,000 prize money.
Cups & Trophies
Cup No. 146 – The "Lt Col Ronnie MacMahon" Perpetual Challenge Trophy presented to the winner of the Four Year Old Young Event Horse class.
Cup No. 147 – The "Tommy Brennan" Perpetual Challenge Trophy presented to the winner of the Five Year Old Young Event Horse class.
Champion and Reserve of each class are required to participate in the Parade of Champions on Friday 11 August. Further details are available here.
View Qualifier Details